After getting all your basic channel settings sorted then it’s time to move onto the more exciting and creative parts of your YouTube Channel. One of the best ways to get started with customising your channel is to set a good channel icon.
Your channel icon can attract users to your channel and will usually be the first thing that your viewers when they see your channel. It is sometimes also known as your ‘Profile Picture’ the channel icon features prominently underneath all of your videos next to your channel name.
What should my YouTube channel icon be?
It’s extremely important to have a good icon that looks professional and reflects the content on your channel. However what you want it to be is completely up to you.
It can be something as simple as a picture taken by your web cam or alternatively a screenshot from one of your videos. If you have a channel logo I’d definitely go with that as long as it’s clear what it is when it’s reduced to a small size as that’s how your icon will generally be viewed. What every you choose make sure it doesn’t contain anything inappropriate that breaks YouTubes rules otherwise you’ll run the risk of getting your channel band.
Once you’ve chosen the image you want to use then it’s time to upload it to your account. Here’s a step-by-step guide of how you can do that.
How to add a YouTube channel icon
- Click on the user icon in the top right-hand corner (outlined here) of your account on YouTube.com
- Select the ‘Your Channel’ option from the drop-down menu and your channel overview page will appear
- Next click the large blue ‘Customise Channel’ button
- Hover over your channel icon and click on the pencil that appears in the top right-hand corner
- A box will appear telling you that it may take a few minutes to change your channel icon – next click edit
- Upload your chosen image from your computer
- Click done once you’re happy with your choice
You’ve now changed your channel icon, well done! You’ve done the first step to customising your YouTube channel. You can repeat this step as many times as you want to in order to update your profile images quickly.